Semi-Classical Indian Dance London (5 week course)
Inspired by the beautiful dancing style of timeless films like Devdas, and more recent classics like Bajirao Mastani, these particular bollywood dance classes offer a stylish, feminine, intricate dance style. We focus on hand gestures – a key feature of Indian dance, while learning routines to both classic and modern hit Bollywood songs. If you are looking for an intro to Kathak or somewhere you can learn Classical Indian Dance in Central London, then look no further. This course is for you!
- Fee: £75 for 5 weeks
- When: Mondays 7-8pm
- Where: Arthur Murray Studios, 77 Baker Street, W1U 6RF
- Instructor: Priyanka Chauhan
- Maximum class capacity: 25 people
- Next cycle starting Mon 3rd June – Mon 1st July is now FULLY BOOKED
- You can now only book for the following cycle starting Mon 2nd Sept ending Mon 30th Sept
About the Course – semi-classical indian dance
The Semi-Classical course brings the beautiful styles of classical Indian dance forms right up to date with Bollywood hits. With a focus on elements such as rhythm, story-telling, expression, power and grace that are all integral to Kathak; our Semi-classical Indian Dance course acts as an introduction to the basics of Kathak. We explore how the Bollywood songs we know and love can be a way for us to access this traditional art form.
The Semi-Classical course is grounded by:
- Intricate choreography
- Precision of movement (especially arm and head placements)
- Ability to hold and play with rhythms
- Building confidence in expressing oneself through movement
This course is great for beginners and intermediate dancers too – previous classical Indian dance training is not essential.
What to expect from this class:
- An introduction to Indian Classical dance and its meaning
- Bollywood technique, and general Kathak dance technique, including posture and alignment
- A weekly workout, cleverly combined with dance
- Great music from both classc films and also recent Bollywood films to hit the cinema
- An improvement in your overall dancing skills, memory and technique over the 5 weeks