Semi-Classical 4 Week Course: Starts Mon 7th Feb 2022
- Mondays 7-8pm
- Start Date: Monday 7th February 2022
- End Date: Monday 28th February 2022
- Location: Gymbox Holborn, 100 High Holborn, London WC1V 6RD
- Song Medley: Kajra Re & Aaja Nachle
- Max Number: 20 participants
- Limited numbers. Course must pre-booked. Please use booking link below.
About the style
Inspired by the dance icons of Bollywood, such as Maduri Dixit, Aishwarya Rai, we take a closer look at how both Classical and traditional folk Indian dance styles and have influenced Bollywood.
Combining Kathak foundations with a more contemporary edge, Semi-Classical Bollywood offers the best of both worlds. The dance form focuses on story-telling and grace, whilst balancing playful rhythms and expressions too.
Each session in the course will build on the last, and as well as working towards a choreography during the second half of the class, the first part of each session will be spent building the foundation hand gestures & footwork sequences needed for the Semi-Classical style.
This class is great for beginners and intermediate dancers too. Previous Kathak or Classical Indian dance training is not essential.
What to expect from Semi-classical Indian Dance
Our Semi-Classical Indian Dance class is grounded by:
- Bollywood technique, and general Kathak dance technique, including posture and alignment
- Precision of movement (especially arm and head placements)
- Ability to hold and play with rhythms
- Building confidence in expressing oneself through movement
about the instructor: Priyanka Chauhan
Priyanka Chauhan has worked with The Bollywood Co for the past 8 years and is an inaugural member of the team. She brings a wide and varied portfolio of dance skills to her class, including her extensive training in Kathak.
Priyanka is an Inclusive Dance Practitioner and Community Arts Producer. She is also a Creator, Instructor & Performer with specialist areas ‘Semi-Classical’ and ‘Indian Mix’. As well as her work for The Bollywood Co, she runs her own Inclusive Dance Platform using dance as a tool for wellbeing.
Looking for another dance style? See our full CLASS TIMETABLE here.